Friday, October 9, 2009

Entering the Season

Last night I gave in and turned the heat on, just enough to be comfortable under the covers.

This morning I woke up before my alarm. I lay there thinking how it might be nice to sit cozy on the couch with a cup of coffee and wait for the sun to come up. I have this thought frequently and then I just fall back asleep, but to my amazement I found myself getting out of bed and making coffee in the dark.

Snuggled on the couch I looked out the back window. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground, heavy and wet. It’s slightly early for snow, and I’m not sure I’m ready for it.

I sipped for a while and thought about the meal I’m making for friends tonight, anticipating the house permeated with smells of bread, stew, rum baked pears and the warm glow of burning candles.

When I got in my car to drive to work I plugged in my ipod. Without my consent it just started playing on shuffle. The first song it threw up was “Wintersong.”

I took the clue, let song play, gave up my last bits of resistance to the coming season and let myself enter this years winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... a beautiful post, friend.