Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Apparently

I think I've used and heard this word so much lately in a certain context, that I had to say something about it.

Apparently

It’s become obvious
that I’m about to make a
clever observation,

and am drawing notice as I
tip my head up and glance my eyes down,
to explain what you have not seen before.

I am working very hard at impressing you
with my steel trap,
nothing gets by me mind.

I am not giving it up
even though it rings in my ears so much now
as a cheap, nonchalant way to thrill,

Apparently.

2 comments:

Hazel Cade said...

I'm feeling so much less clever after reading that and may need to amend my vocabulary. "Obviously" would be pompous. A polite Brit might go with "perhaps," so I'll try that out.

Erica said...

So by now I've heard several non clever and ordinary uses of this word. Hmm . . . there is more to say about apparently. I'll have to think about what other word to use in it's place.