Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful for:

Well it just has to be done. I didn’t think of a super creative way to say what I’m thankful for and please forgive that it’s not a comprehensive list, but then we’d be here a long time.

  • Mary Ellen who, as her roommate, has not made me feel like I’m traveling through but that I have a real place in her home. We realized recently that the only circumstance that has changed for either of us in the last year or so is that we live together and in that time both of us have found new and deeper sanity in our lives. Of course, both of us thought that other changes in our circumstances would have been the things to make us happier. For me it was a different job, and for her it was . . . well I'll let her tell you that.

  • Bethann, who gets feisty with me and says “This is who you are” and means it and doesn’t mind that I am bringing up for the 1000th time that thing that is always troubling me. You’re the best friend I never knew I would have.

  • New people that surprise me and make me say, “Yes we’re friends” at our first meeting.

  • Community, I’ve been surprised by the people around me who notice and care and act on my behalf, sometimes with out my knowing it. I’ve always wanted that and this year I found it.

  • My church that is warm and humble and kind. That it’s a place for the divorced, the widowed, the hungry, the homeless, the addict and the really directionless, really hungry girl who just wants to put something honest and beautiful into the world.

  • Singing! I’m grateful that I can and that it brings me so much pleasure. I’m grateful for anyone who wants to listen and especially for Cisco, our worship pastor, who from the beginning has been gracious to me, as I shamlessly beg like a puppy for opportunities to sing and who never makes me feel foolish for wanting so much.

  • The Lord my God, who always catches me when the wanting gets to be more than I or anyone around me can handle and never tells me to want less or to get over it, who miraculously redeems me from all my foolish grasping and who always brings me back to his heart, in this incredibly kind and loving way, where I am mercifully satisfied.

  • Blogging, It’s just lovely to have a place to try and say stuff and to let people see what you try. I love the whole process of writing, it makes me almost as happy as singing. So I’m grateful for anyone who reads what I have to say. Hmm. . . but I’d be more grateful if those of you who read and never comment, would take a chance , even if you just said “hi,” but I still love you all the same. ; )

5 comments:

Suz. said...

A great, beautiful list!

Hazel Cade said...

I'm glad you're back in the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you, friend! Hope you're having a restful Thanksgiving...

Bob and Molly said...

And we love you Erica. We have never been blessed to hear your song, but if you sing as lovely as you write we are certian to never stop listening.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. May God bless you and keep writing.