Friday, May 9, 2008

Sunshine Sue


It's been an emotional week. On Wednesday this beautiful woman I work with died. She had been out of the office since January. She left work one morning not feeling well and wound up in surgery by the afternoon, which led to the discovery of cancer. No one expected her to not make it through. I was anticipating her return, waiting to renew our daily banter, waiting to have her back and improve on our friendship.

The refrain has been that she could make anyone her best friend.

She adopted me in that way too. She took me into her office one day and we had a long chat about me. She let me know what she saw in me beyond what so many come up with at first glance and that was a priceless moment; one that I needed right at that time.

She was a person I wanted to be like, alive with faith and hope that comes from honest engagement with the struggles in her life. She loved God and a prayer from her was some of the best medicine a person could get. I rejoice to see her standing with Jesus, relieved at last of her own heavy burdens and struggle. Sweet tears of pain roll down. I wanted more of her wisdom and laughter and jesting at life.

For now there is the strange blanket of grief settled over us. We oscillate back and forth from sorrow to joy to sorrow to numbness and around again. I am heartened by the depth of caring and love this group of people has for one another. I'm reminded that even in the dissatisfaction of my job, the people here doing this work are some of the best people I've known.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear Erica, i am so sorry for this loss. it must be really hard to experience this absence of a person who was so life-giving and affirming. peace, friend.